Settling Abroad Services Pvt. Ltd. Scf 35-36, Level 2-3, Sital Complex Phase 3b2, Mohali

Frequently Asked Questions

How much is the course fee and how much it will cost to study in New Zealand?

The course fee to study in New Zealand institutes will range between NZD$ 14,000 to NZD $ 21,000 per year. In terms of Indian Rupees, the cost for the one year course will be in the range of Rs. 7 to 10 lakhs depending on the course and the institute plus the living expenses of approximately Rs. 7 lakhs. So, the total cost to study in New Zealand for a one year course will be Rs. 14 to 17 lakhs. The living expense is a safety measure in case if you are not working part time. If you are working part time, then you really do not have to use that fund.
Besides the fees, an initial amount of about Rs.1 lakh will cover your first 2 months living expense + ticket cost etc.

Am I allowed to work while studying?

All students on a student visa can work up to 20 hours per week during semester and full time during vacations.Many New Zealand institutions offer a student employment service called ‘Student Job Search’ to help you find work. Upon the successful completion of their studies they are allowed to apply for a 12 months Graduate Job search Visa and subsequently for permanent resident status.

How long will it take to process my application?

All undergraduate applications take upto two weeks to finalise the enrolment. Postgraduate applications may take upto four weeks. During the busy season over the months of May-June and November-January all Postgraduate applications may take upto six weeks to process.

Can I apply for Permanent Residence after my studies in New Zealand?

You don’t have to come back to India if you successfully complete your studies in New Zealand. You become eligible for a guaranteed 12 months job search visa. This visa allows you to stay in New Zealand and work full time in any job. But the important thing is that in these 12 months you have to find a job relevant to the course you just completed.
Once you secure this you can apply for a longer work permit which is generally issued for 2 years. At this stage you will have enough points to apply for Permanent Residency. The points are based on age, qualifications and subject, how long you studied in New Zealand, work experience and industry, spouse qualifications and any blood relatives who are citizens or permanent residents of NZ and willing to support your application. Once you are a Permanent Resident of New Zealand, you are eligible for all social benefits from the government. 5 years after becoming a Permanent Resident you can apply for Citizenship after which a New Zealand passport can be applied for. This allows you visa free travel to many countries including UK, Australia, Canada and almost all European countries.To know the benefits you can avail as a Permanent Resident/Citizen of New Zealand visit

As per the Immigration New Zealand, how much of funds should a student have as living expenses?

As per the Immigration New Zealand, the student while applying for New Zealand student visa should show the funds of approximately NZD$ 15,000 (about Rs.7 lakhs). The students have an option of FTS (Fund Transfer Scheme) or show the funds from the relatives or in the form of fixed deposits. That is to show the visa officer at the time of application that you have enough to survive on just in case you do not find a part time job after you arrive in New Zealand. If you are working part time, then you really do not have to use that fund.

Now the big question is where to get the required money from? We always encourage students to be honest when it comes to money matters. If your family does not have the required funds, there are many ways to raise the funds required for study in New Zealand.

Some of them are:

Educational Loans: Many banks now offer education loans liberally for overseas study. If you have a property that can be pledged as a security, the chances of a getting an education loan are very high.

Sponsorship: Sponsors for study can include family members and friends. So funds can be shown in a legitimate manner from various sources. Don’t get conned by some ‘consultants’ who will scare you and say you have to show 30 – 40 lakhs and will then help you ‘manage’ the funds by taking 10%. Bloody thieves! Discuss with us and we will show you clearly how you can raise the funds in a proper and genuine manner. Hopefully we have answered all your questions about studying with Study Plus and you are ready to take your first step. It’s simple. Contact us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

What is the Student visa process?

Here is an example of the student visa process:

  1. Student applies for a programme of study in New Zealand
  2. We organise the student an Offer of Place and Tax Invoice from a New Zealand Institute.
  3. We then apply for your student visa with Immigration New Zealand.
  4. Once the visa is APPROVED IN PRINCIPLE, then the student must pay the course fees in FULL.
  5. Immigration then completes the process and the student will receive their visa.

If the visa is not approved, Immigration New Zealand will send a Letter to the student explaining why they were declined.

What happens if I have an accident or other kind of emergency while I am studying in New Zealand?

On your first day at your institute in New Zealand you will have an orientation session with your Student Advisor.  They will give you their emergency mobile phone number so if you have an emergency you can phone them for help at any time. You can also phone one of Study Plus members for assistance around emergency situations practically 24 hours a day.

What is the minimum wage?

The minimum wage (at the time of printing this information) is NZ$13 per hour.

How much are the tuition fees in New Zealand?

Type of Tuition Fees ($NZ):

  • English Language Courses approximately NZ$320 – NZ$400 per week
  • Secondary School normal tuition fees are from NZ$8,000 – NZ$10,500 per year for most schools but some private schools are more expensive
  • Polytechnic Courses these range from NZ$15,000 – NZ$23,000 per year depending on the course or degree
  • University Degrees from NZ$18,500 – NZ$27,000 per year for most under-graduate and post graduate degrees

What is the cost to live in New Zealand?

The total cost depends on each students spending habits. However a student should be able to live in New Zealand for a total cost of living of between NZ$10,000 and NZ$15,000 a year including accommodation, transport and entertainment. In Indian Rupess, it is approximately between Rs. 5 to 7.5 lakhs.

Which courses are popular to study in New Zealand?

The most popular courses for students already done their UG courses are level 7 courses in IT or Business or Teaching. The other courses include Hospitality & Tourism Management, Animation & Designing and Engineering. Please complete the form if you are interested in other courses as we can get the admission.

What is GST Tax?

GST stands for Goods & Services Tax. All goods and services in New Zealand including tuition fees have GST Tax of 15% included in the fee. There are some items that do not have GST and these include bank fees and residential rental payments.

Is there an age limit to study in New Zealand?

There is no limit on the age of a person wishing to study in New Zealand however the New Zealand Immigration Service needs to be satisfied that the applicant is a genuine student when they process the student visa application.

How many education institutions are there in New Zealand?

New Zealand has 8 Universities, 25 Polytechnics and/or Institutes of Technology and about 440 secondary schools.
What is the difference between Universities and Polytechnics and Institutes of Technology?

Historically the main difference had been that Universities focussed on academic programmes and the Polytechnics focussed on practical training. Over recent years both types of institutions have expanded their range of programmes and now there is significant overlap between Universities and Polytechnics. Over recent years the Polytechnic programmes have been expanded to include a wide range and number of degree programmes. A number of Polytechnics have also merged together and have changed their names from Polytechnics to Institutes of Technology to better reflect their focus. Cross-credits for courses completed at the Polytechnic can be credited to ongoing University study in most instances.

What is a tertiary institution?

This is the collective name given to all institutions like Universities and Polytechnics who offer course for students to continue their studies after secondary school.

How long does it take to get a Degree in New Zealand?

Most degrees in New Zealand are for 3 years but there are also a number of degrees which take 4 years.

Are New Zealand degrees recognised internationally?

New Zealand degrees are recognised internationally and will be accepted when applying for post-graduate study in most countries.

Working in New Zealand.

How much can I earn when I work in New Zealand?

Those students who are able to work under their visa will probably work in casual jobs either tutoring at their institution or working in restaurants or other service industries. The normal hourly wage rate will be from NZ$13.00 (minimum wage) – NZ$15.00 per hour and you will have tax deducted from your wages before you receive your payment. On these amounts the tax will normally work out at about 20 cents per $ and you should be able to obtain a full tax refund at the end of the financial year in April.

What happens when I finish my degree?

Students who have completed their degree in the normal time and have a job offer related to their studies can obtain a work visa for another 2 years to work in the job they have been offered as may qualify for residence.

Can I extend my student visa in New Zealand?

There is no problem in extending your student visa in New Zealand and this should be done in 1 or 2 days. You need to obtain a new school offer of place and pay the tuition fee, complete the student visa application and show that you have sufficient money or a financial sponsor to cover your living expenses in New Zealand.

Can my student visa be cancelled?

Yes. Your student visa can be cancelled and you requested to leave to New Zealand if you do not meet the requirements of your student visa. The main requirements are that you must attend the classes and do not commit any crime or unlawful acts in New Zealand. If you have your student visa cancelled this is very serious as it will be noted in your passport and you will have difficulty travelling out of your home country in the future.

What happens if my student visa expires?

This is very serious. You should make every effort to extend your student visa before the expiry date. If your student visa expires you have to make a special submission to the New Zealand Immigration Service which they may or may not approve. There is total responsibility on you to extend your student visa and keep the visa current at all times.

Can I change my student visa in New Zealand?

If you have completed your course of study and you wish to remain in New Zealand as a visitor or apply for residence this is possible providing you have not got a Limited Purpose Visa.

What is a Limited Purpose Visa?

A Limited Purpose Visa is issued when the New Zealand Immigration Service considers the applicant does not meet the normal criteria to study in New Zealand but is prepared to allow the applicant the opportunity to show they are a genuine student or a genuine visitor as the case may be. Limited Purpose Student Visas are issued for a specific period of time to allow the applicant to study a particular course. The applicant must meet the requirements of the visa and return to their home country before the expiry of the visa. If their course has not been completed they are able to obtain a short-term extension to complete their course. In some special circumstance it may be possible to extend or change a Limited Purpose Visa to a normal visa.

Can I apply for New Zealand Residence?

If you meet the requirements of the current immigration policy in New Zealand it is possible for you to apply for residence at any time. In particular the immigration policy encourages students who have completed their degree in New Zealand to proceed to apply for permanent residence.

What happens if I lose my passport?

In this situation you should report the loss to the local Police Station and then forward a copy of the Police Report your Consulate or Embassy to complete the requirements to have a new passport issued.

Can my parents visit me in New Zealand?

It should be no problem for parents to apply for a visitor visa and to visit their children in New Zealand providing they meet normal visitor visa policy requirements.

How long can I study in New Zealand?

Providing you pass your course and continue to meet the requirements of your student visa you can continue to extend your visa for as long as you wish. There is no limit on the time you can spend in New Zealand as a student.

What is a tertiary Education?

Tertiary Education is the collective name given to all institutions like Universities and Polytechnics who offer course for students to continue their studies after secondary school.

Q: What do I need to enroll?

A: To qualify all international applicants must first meet the minimum requirements for entry into higher education in their own country, have a matriculation certificate or equivalent document; command of English (at least on an intermediate level) is also required.
Some departments of the arts, physical education, departments preparing students for the teaching profession, medical and technical universities may organize additional aptitude tests.
Since Poland ratified the Lisbon Convention on Recognition of Degrees in 2004 recognition of Polish diplomas has become easier inter-nationally.
For information on diploma recognition please visit

Q: Studying in Poland: How much does it cost?

A: In Poland full-time education at state institutions of higher education is free for Polish citizens. It is also free for foreigners who commence studies in at state HEIs on terms applicable to Polish citizens. All other foreigners are required to pay tuition fees of no less than a PLN equivalent of:

  • around EUR 2000 – EUR 4000 per year for professional higher study, master’s and postgraduate master’s courses;
  • around EUR 3000 per year for doctoral, postgraduate and specialist courses and scientific, artistic, specialist and habilitation internships;
  • around EUR 3000 per year for vocational courses and apprenticeships;
  • around EUR 2000 per year for a language course, including a course preparing for study in Polish.

In justified cases the Rector of the HEI may, at the student’s request, reduce the tuition fee or waive it altogether.

Q: Do I need to speak fluent Polish?
A: You do not need to because universities offer a large variety of study programmes in English.  Nevertheless, you may learn Polish either for private everyday use for the time you stay in Poland, or for joining a university course in Polish. In­for­ma­tion on Po­lish lan­gu­age cer­ti­fi­ca­tes is pro­vi­ded by the Sta­te Com­mis­sion for Cer­ti­fi­ca­tion of Com­mand  of Po­lish as a Fo­re­ign Lan­gu­age (www.bu­

Q: Do I need a visa? If so, how do I apply for one?

A: EU/EEA students do not need any Polish visa, however upon arrival to Poland they should apply for a temporary residence permit if they stay in the country longer then 90 days.

Non EU/EEA students need to arrive in Poland with a student’s visa obtained at a Polish Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. It is important to remember that visas are granted for a maximum of three months. In order to extend the stay in Poland, it is necessary to apply for a residence permit for specified period of time in Voivodeship office 45 days before visa expirattion date. For further assistance students are strongly urged to contact the International Relations Office of their university.
More practical information about: coming to Poland, legalizing your stay, medical care and insurance, driving licence, addresses of diplomatic missions of in Poland is available at (Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

Q: Is health insurance required?

A: Medical care in Poland is not free of charge. Health insurance is mandatory for all students for the entire duration of their stay in Poland. The students from non-EU/EEA countries are recommended to buy medical insurance in their home country or immediately after their arrival in Poland. Otherwise students are required to pay for any health service they get. Foreign students are also advised to purchase third party liability insurance and accident insurance.

EU citizens staying in Poland are legible for free health service, providing they present their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
EU citizens not having insurance in their country of residence and non-EU citizens may sign insurance agreement with the Polish Health National Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) and purchase insurance for the monthly fee of 40 PLN.
Under bilateral agreements the citizens of the U.K., Sweden and Slovakia are entitled to free medical care. Under an agreement with the Czech Republic Czech students are entitled to necessary medical care in cases of sudden illness or accident.
More information can be found on The National Health Fund website:

Q: Can I apply for scholarship?

A: All international students may apply for scholarships within bilateral agreements on direct cooperation offered through Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange (
Scholarships for students from European Union are offered within the framework of the Socrates/Erasmus program (  In addition university scholarships are available for academic excellence.

Q: How do I find accommodation?

A: Most Polish universities provide accommo-dation for international students at their own dormitories, but the number of rooms is limited. The host university should help students in finding appropriate accommodation.

Q: How much money do I need for living in Poland?

A: Depending on your personal situation, lifestyle and habits you may have different needs. In practice, you will need at least 1200-2500 PLN per month in order to cover the cost of decent accommodation, pay for the local transport, and even go out occasionally. This amount should cover the costs of rent, food, clothing, personal hygiene, local transport, study materials, telephone and other expenses – not the tuition fee however.

Here is an approximate calculation of your monthly expenses: accommodation in student dormitories costs 400-600 PLN, shared flat from 1000 to 1600 PLN per month; food about 500-700 PLN; books and entertainment about 200-300 PLN; local transport about 65 PLN.